Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
There are two methods to cool components of hardware , or traditional air cooling and liquid. Let’s see what are their pros and cons in order to decide what is best for each user.
All computers generate heat and if this is not handled properly, the components can be damaged permanently.This idea is basic to the world of PC’s, especially among those who use them for tasks that take extreme use of parts, such as gaming or video editing .
For reasons how are you cooling system of the computer is something very important . For those who will buy a machine that is already armed, this is not a great concern that will come equipped with a cooling system you need, but for those who want to build a PC on your own, so be it play or work, must know the methods available to cool the components.
For years it has been using the traditional cooling, ie, the one with fans, but there are also water cooling , a new method that will be another excellent way to keep the graphics card, the CPU and other parts of computer running properly and more warming. Both methods have their pros and cons, which we will list below, in order to conclude which one is better .
Traditional or air cooling
This method is not new, it has been using for a couple of decades in the world of computers. It is these common fans that come with processors, graphics cards and coming loose for use in the case . Are used to remove heat from the hardware and, as its name implies, to vent.
On a desktop computer you may have a fan on the CPU, GPU and another one or two in the case containing all components. Is the best known and therefore it is also called “traditional cooling.” Of course, it has its pros and cons, which we list below.
- They are very cheap, they cost much less than water cooling. Usually you would not have to spend much more than $ 30 in fans if you’re going to build your own computer.
- They are very easy to install, you just have to be placed screws in place and know which direction the fan should go.
- No need almost no maintenance other than dusting regularly.
- Are noisy, especially if the computer they are at their limits. They make a lot of noise to function efficiently.
- They need more space, so if you want your PC to have more fans, you need a case that is big enough.
- Are less effective because they do not address some of the cool hardware specific, but all at once.
As the name implies, this method uses a liquid, which is almost always water as cooling agent for each piece of hardware . Works like a nuclear reactor where water is used to remove heat from the parties.
The biggest advantage is that liquid cooling delivers the heat of each specific piece, which can not be done with traditional or air, but on the other hand is much more difficult to put together because water blocks are used, a radiator, pipes and pumps. For these reasons and because of its cost, a common user does not opt for this method, therefore, would be mostly used by people who want a computer for gaming or demanding activities.
Summing up the pros and cons of liquid cooling we have:
- It is very quiet when running.
- It is very efficient because each component cooling hardware separately.
- Occupy much less space than traditional fans.
- The price is much higher. While a fan can cost as little as $ 10, a cooling system can cost at least around $ 300.
- Requires that you do regular maintenance to work properly.
- Are very complex to build, they need to know very well what is being done.
- Get the parts needed to fit the case you have, it can be difficult.
The traditional air cooling or is more than enough for an ordinary user making documents and web pages you visit. On the other hand, the liquid is a better idea for those who want to use video editing software and animation or games with demanding graphics .
So, decide which of the two methods is better is a matter of the use to which it will give to the computer that is being assembled and the budget you have.