Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
The thermal paste will act as a heat conductor between two electronic components. It is necessary to stick a CPU or a GPU heatsink and a fan.
A while ago we explained that should take into account before assembling a computer at home. All tips are extremely important, especially if you are first-or if you’re learning about hardware and computers in general.
If maintenance arm and do a computer was very simple there would be experts in the field. That is to say, you need to learn certain techniques things like why the RAM slots are different colors or how you should apply the thermal paste correctly , that is precisely what you’ll talk then.
What you did not know or do not remember well, the thermal paste (also known as grease, silicone caulk or thermal) is a whitish substance that functions as a heat conductor between two components that do not make direct contact.
When you’re putting together a computer usually will use between the two components which are almost always a heatsink and CPU / GPU to have better heat conduction. More specifically, what makes this filler is to fill the space between the two components, which are very small, and thus increase the performance of the heat sink, which in turn will prevent the component from overheating.
To apply the thermal paste should follow two main steps : prepare the surface and apply the putty. We explain how the process below.
Preparing the surface
- Choose the correct batter . They come in different types and ingredients, some are made only of metal, ceramic and other other silicone. The metal is more expensive and are the best drivers. If you’re going to buy one of these is to check the ingredients and is a mixture of silver, gold and copper. The ceramic works almost as well as the metal but costs less. And silicone is the cheapest of all and usually comes with some of the heat sinks when shopping. It will last as long as the other two.
- Clean the CPU / GPU and heatsink . Use a cotton swab and alcohol to make a gentle cleaning. Try to get a good concentrated alcohol, 70% to 90%.
- Sand the surface, if it’s necessary . For surfaces are better than ever, a little sandpaper. This will make them more uniform cooling performance will be much higher. If components already had thermal paste before lifting the old begins with a spatula and then use sandpaper to remove the old completely.
Applying thermal paste
- Some people put the paste on the heat sink base and on the other processor. The best option is to be on the second so do not put too much putty. You should apply it with two lines in the form of Xbecause it’s like going to cover more space and have less air bubbles, according to the results of experiments in Puget Systems . If you have less bubbles and cover more surface heat will dissipate much better.
- Paste the heatsink to the processor with even pressure on all sides so that the putty extends properly and create a thin layer. It is important that after doing this not separate components because if you’d have to start the process again, cleaning the old paste before.
- When you think all is well connect the fan to the motherboard and checks the BIOS to see the temperature stays below 40 ° C when not in use .